Duke football position preview: Secondary
· Yahoo Sports
The Duke secondary was categorically awful in 2025. Ranked 132nd in all of FBS in passing yards allowed last season, the Blue Devils will look to improve the unit drastically and must do so while replacing some key pieces from last year’s ACC Championship squad.
One of the lone bright spots for the secondary a year ago was cornerstone cornerback Chandler Rivers, who departed for the 2026 NFL Draft. The senior began his career in Durham by winning Duke’s Rookie of the Year Award his freshman year, and ended his college career a two-time All-ACC selection and was part of the winningest class in Duke Football history.
Visit betsport.cv for more information.
Other veterans who moved on include safeties Caleb Weaver and Terry Moore, both of whom graduated from the program, leaving multiple roles vacant in a position group that desperately needs to improve.
Head coach Manny Diaz addressed the holes with a slew of transfer additions across multiple positions.
Stanford’s Che Ojarikre, Montana’s Kyon Loud, Western Kentucky’s Dylan Flowers, and Northwestern’s Evan Smith round out the portal acquisitions at corner, while North Texas transfer Patrick Smith-Young fills in at safety.
Duke’s cupboard wasn’t completely dry to begin with, though, as returners Andrew Pellicciotta, Kimari Robinson, DaShawn Stone and Landon Callahan are all still in the mix to start.
Diaz addressed the open competition at ACC Kickoff, identifying “urgency” as a primary word to describe the defense as a whole and appeared to be pleased with the unit’s overall depth.
“I don't know that we have a guy right now that knows for sure that he's a starter,” he said. “I think that's fantastic. That's not because we don't have good enough players. I think we have a two-deep that's as talented as anything we've had in the time that I've been here.”
That being said, it will likely be the incumbent Blue Devils that will get the first shot at starting when the team suits up for Week 1 versus Tulane. Robinson and Callahan appeared poised to hold down the corner spots, while Stone (FS) and Pellicciotta (SS) are expected to be trotted out at safety.
Both cornerback candidates have a good deal of playing experience under Diaz, but must improve with the increased competition that’s been brought in by the transfers. Expect Flowers and Loud to make strong pushes for those spots as the season progresses.
Stone enters 2026 with a leg up on the free safety spot due to his 15 starts, tallying 142 career tackles, three interceptions, three forced fumbles and seven pass breakups. He stands the best chance to get the starting nod, but will also be pushed by his teammates.
The free safety job is very much up for grabs. Pellicciotta will likely get the nod due to his solid contributions a year ago as a true freshman; however, Smith-Young will absolutely make a push due to his veteran experience at both North Texas and Old Dominion.
Diaz touched on Pellicciotta’s role last season and the impact he had on the team.
“He did two things,” he said Tuesday. “He was instinctual, and he could play a role on the team at the same time; we needed help in the back end.”
Ojarikre, a graduate transfer, is the transfer that’s most likely to make an immediate impact in the secondary due to his experience playing in the slot at Stanford. While not his primary position, the Cardinal slotted him in at nickel towards the end of the season.
Diaz made it clear that spots are still up for grabs as of the team’s 11th practice of fall camp on Tuesday, but that starters should be announced soon.
“After the weekend is when we’ll have to start making decisions in terms of the batting order, he said. “Everything is still in flux. To me, what I look for is just the spirit of the team: competing, not enduring, attacking, not surviving.”
This article originally appeared on Duke Wire: Duke football position preview: Secondary